Monday, January 21, 2013

The Action Plan: Day 2

I've made it to day 2 and I swear, I feel lighter already! It always amazes me how much crap you can carry in your mid section when you're bloated...

Day 1's lunch menu called for French lentil salad. I served myself a huge plate because I had waited too long between breakfast and lunch and was SUPER hungry. The salad was very filling and didn't taste bad. I went into eating lentils with an open mind, so that always helps. I don't think this will be a repeat recipe in my life but it was fun to try.


For dinner, I made the the creamy broccoli soup which doesn't look like much but it is AWESOME. I really liked it! It's super easy, quick to make, filled with good for you green stuff, and tastes good. I followed the suggestion by one of the readers on the website and added the juice from one lemon. It was a fantastic addition. I also probably used a bit more crushed red pepper than it calls for but I like spicy, so it worked for me.



I strictly followed the meal suggestions for all of Day 1. I did snack on some trail mix between lunch and dinner but that's allowed. I just need some crunch in my life. Otherwise, I drank TONS of of water. Overall, I'd say Day 1 was a success.

Today is Monday and it's MLK Day (may he rest in peace). I get the day off from work which means I get another "easy" day at home doing this Action Plan. Easy in the sense that I don't have to worry about anything but this Action Plan! This morning, I already got to sleep in, walked the dog, took things slow, made some cucumber pear juice, and wrote this blog. There was no need to pack or pre-plan my meals for the day. It's all just right here at my place. Tomorrow will be a different story. I think everyone could be successful with any detox or change in eating habits if we didn't have to work (i.e. responsibilities)! My real life is filled with bad habits! It's trying to merge the development of good habits while at the same time breaking the old that's the hard part.
I also might start tracking my calories during each day, just out of curiosity. The Action Plan says that calorie counting it's a big deal since it's basically good for you stuff (i.e. no processed foods, dairy, or sugar). But calculating the calories can turn into a lot of work since these recipes don't have the information readily available. By the way, what is up with that Whole Living?

Have a great day!

2 comments:

  1. You can find it here:
    http://www.wholeliving.com/216338/creamy-broccoli-soup

    But like I said, add some lemon! Also, I suggest blending in two parts. The soup will fill up a standard blender and you'll make a big old mess. It's important to wait for it to cool down a bit too.

    Ingredients
    1 Tbsp coconut or extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
    1 medium yellow onion, diced
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
    4 cups Cleansing Broth
    1 head broccoli, trimmed and chopped (6 cups)
    3 cups baby spinach
    1 avocado, chopped, plus more for garnish
    Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper

    Directions
    1.Heat oil in a medium pot over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, and pepper flakes and cook, stirring, until tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Add broth and bring to a boil. Add broccoli and cook, covered, until bright green and tender, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat, stir in spinach, and let cool slightly.

    2.Transfer soup to blend and puree with avocado. Adjust seasoning. Garnish with avocado and a drizzle of olive oil.

    ReplyDelete