Thursday, January 31, 2013

Paleo fish tacos

I've come to the realization that writing in a blog everyday was probably not realistic for me given the fact that I have a full time job and other activities in my so called life! I figure a blog is supposed to be fun, so I don't want to make it another line item on my things to do list. Daily blogging probably isn't going to happen but I can do a few times a week :)

As far as the action plan goes, I made it 6 entire days. On day 7, I happen to have plans to go to Tampa for their annual Gasparilla festival. And well... pirates and detox don't mix well. The ironic part is that by the morning of day 7, I was feeling great! And then throughout the festival I consumed all sorts of food and drink that were not allowed on the action plan: processed foods, sugar, caffeine, alcohol, gluten, and dairy. The next day I had a food and booze hangover. I'm pretty sure that I have a gluten intolerance because the next few days I had digestive issues and a reoccurrence of Keratosis Pilaris, (also known as ‘chicken skin’ on the back of your arms) which had cleared up dramatically when I was on detox. I found this article that lists 10 signs of a gluten intolerance and sure enough, the top two apply to me. There’s no doubt about it, my body is not a fan of processed foods, sugar, caffeine, alcohol, gluten, and dairy.

Since the festival though, I’m still making smart food choices. This week I’ve introduced fish and eggs back into my diet. And tonight I made paleo fish tacos. Super yummy! Recipe below, enjoy J

Salsa (makes a big batch)

6 Roma tomatoes
1 handful of cilantro
½ white or red onion
Juice of 1 lime
1 jalapeno pepper
1 clove garlic
Fresh ground pepper

Hand chop tomatoes, cilantro, onion, jalapeno, and garlic. Mix in a bowl with lime juice and ground pepper.

Fish

2 large oranges
1 lime
2 Tbsp olive oil (more for skillet)
1 tsp ground cumin
pinch sea salt
2 tilapia fillets, cut into large chunks

Taco Wraps

4 large green cabbage leaves
1 avocado, sliced

Using a juicer, juice oranges and lime. Mix juice with olive oil, cumin, and salt in bowl. Add tilapia chunks to the marinade. Marinate in refrigerator for 30 minutes.

When ready to cook, heat 1 Tbsp olive oil in skillet over medium-high heat. When pan is hot, add fish chunks in a single layer. Pour remaining marinade over the fish and let simmer, approximately 4 minutes on each side. Do not turn the fish more than once because the fish chunks will break up into small pieces.

To serve: Layer 2 green cabbage leaves on top of each another to make one large taco wrap. For each taco wrap, add fish chunks and top with salsa and avocado slices. Finish each wrap with a squeeze of lime and a sprinkle of kosher flake salt (if desired).




No comments:

Post a Comment